The First Fifty Years – a project collating Cape of Good Hope records – News – Archival Platform

News

In this news section you will find Archival Platform announcements. You can also download Archival Platform newsletters.

The First Fifty Years – a project collating Cape of Good Hope records

The First Fifty Years – a project collating Cape of Good Hope records brings together a wealth of information about the people who lived and settled in the Cape in the 17th century and their entangled lives. It includes information that is invaluable to those researching their family histories as well as those with an interest in the early history the Cape of Good Hope.

According to the project’s website ” This project began as a private endeavour to figure out some of the questions I had about my early Cape of Good Hope (de Caep de Goede Hoop / Cabo de Boa Esperanςa) ancestry, to ensure the foundations of my research into the genealogies of those ancestors was sound.

In time however, I [Delia Robertson / Mansell Upham] realized my efforts might also help other researchers avoid the same errors I made when I first discovered this ancestry.
Consequently, the first goal of the project is to enter data from all records that are available for the first fifty years or so of the VOC settlement at the Cape which commenced in 1652. “Fifty years or so” because there is in some cases a natural progression that results from available research material.

But more than adding the data, the goal is to add full transcriptions and as far as is possible, an image of that record as an exhibit.
Where appropriate, it will include groundbreaking published articles in the Acrobat format and linked to the relevant individuals.

The second, and very important goal, is to generate discussion around the available data, to correct errors, and hopefully to shine more light on some enduring mysteries. In this regard, please write to me to correct errors (motivate and document if possible), or offer suggestions, opinions, and so on.”

For more information about this important initiative visit the project website, follow it on Facebook or email Delia Robertson.

The First Fifty Years – a project collating Cape of Good Hope records – News – Archival Platform.